Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The doctor said "don't be alarmed, mom, but..."

"Tillman has pneumonia."
An hour after I blogged about Tillman's 6 month well visit, I get a call from Nick saying the daycare called.  Tillman had a temp of 102.2, and they requested he be picked up.  We, of course, thought it was due to his 6 month shots (4 shots at this visit), but I scheduled a doctor's appointment anyways...good thing because 2 hours in the doctors office with a breathing treatment, another shot, oral antibiotic and testing for RSV concluded that Tillman had pneumonia (pneumococcal pneumonia that is/was superimposed over a virus aka daycare crud). We saw a great physician, Dr. Clifford (going to switch to him from now on).  He gave us his cell phone number and told me that it is always with him and to call no matter the hour.  He called to check on Tillman on Friday night, and ended his call with "give Tillman a hug for me."  On Saturday night, Tillman's fever spiked again, and I was getting worried because it was getting late (new mom here...never had a sick child before).  I broke down and called dear Dr. Clifford.  He "triaged" Tillman over the phone.  He told me what to do and to call back if things didn't get better and we'd reassess!  When calling, I was ready to go to the ER, but he talked us through it and was really calm.  Again he ended the call with "give my little buddy a hug for me!"
 
Tillman is doing much better!  He went to daycare on Monday since he was fever free from 24 hours (that's the rule).  Nick and I agreed not to tell the daycare ladies that Tillman had pneumonia...didn't want to freak them out.  I just told them he had an infection and he was on antibiotics.  He still has his terrible cough, stuffy nose, and watery eyes going on.  He's had this since March 1st.  We sure hope April brings a stronger immune system to our household!  Tillman and I have been to the doctor twice in March, and Nick has been 5 times.

7 comments:

Julie said...

I love this new doctor already. haha He sounds great for Tillman! Praying y'all have a germ free April! Give lil man a hug for me too please! :)

Renee said...

Omygoodness. Get better soon Strehle fam;)

Kegan said...

Yeah when the pollen starts everything seems to fall apart. I feel for little Tillman. Glad it was not RSV. How did he like the breathing treatment? Glad you were able to find a doctor with great bedside manners. It is always good when you have people that understand. Give little "T" a bug hug for me. Take care!

Meredith said...

The breathing treatment lasted 10 minutes and everyone one in the office heard him crying! He hated to have the mask on his face. The nurse told me most kids go to sleep during it...Not Tillman...if he was going to sleep; he was crying himself to sleep.
Thanks for the well wishes, ladies! I'll give a hug to T from all his ladies!

MiMi said...

Od wow!, what a few days you and Nick experienced. So sorry to read about "T" not feeling well. This is probably the first of many calls to the doctor's. Take care of your family give "T" and Nick a hug from Mimi. Tell Nick to give you a hug from me.

Meredith said...

Mimi's first comment! Thanks! We'll give Tillman a hug for you. Hopefully he'll be well for your spring break visit!

Tommy, Erica, Addie Kate, and Andrew said...

Sounds like a great doctor! Ours up here are Ahhhh-mazing. It'll KILL me to leave them. So, I'm glad you've found a good one for us! :o) Poor Tillman, but poor you too - I know it tugs at your heart, but surely spring and summer will be better!