Tuesday, April 17, 2012

21 Weeks & The Name Game

I've officially been Instagrammed at 21 weeks
At 21 weeks we are in the thick of the name game!  We did have a girl name picked, but Nick's unsure if he likes the first name, and I'm unsure of it since it doesn't have any family connection (I'm big on family names). Another big requirement for us, is whatever the name ends up being, she will be called it...no nick names or shortened versions!  I also really love double names, but Nick is into "short and sweet."

The name in question is Caroline Reese (Reece).  Oh, do I love the name, Caroline!  I feel like she is Caroline to me already, but a name is a HUGE decision!

Nick's came up with his short list of names that he liked after doing an Internet search.  He jotted them on a sticky note when he was at work.

From his list, I really like Abigail, Kenzie (as a middle name), Grace, and Madison.

We've also been doing a little family research for girl names.  From Nick's side, there's Ellen (Nick's Grandmothers, Roberta Ellen and Winifred "Winnie" Marion), Katherine (Great Grandma was Katherine "Katie" Heidgerken), Sarah (Great Grandma was Sarah Ellen) and Marie (Great Grandma was Lucille Marie and Nick's sister's middle name).
From my side of the family there's Millie (Mildred "Millie" Louise was my mom's mom), Kathleen (Viola Kathleen was my dad's mom), Nora or Conway for a middle name (Great Grandmother was Hanorah Conway),  and Hayes for a boy (Great Grandmother Eva Ethal Hayes). I'm continuing to do research.
 
A couple other names I came across were Maybelle(Maybelle was my grandfather's sister's name) Maggie Grimsley (my dad's grandmother), Ottie Mae (my mom's grandmother) and Fehrn Ozella (Nick's mom's grandmother).

With all of that research and all of the above said, I like
-Mary Caroline (as a double name). The name, Mary, is on both sides of my family just not a grandmother (My mom's aunt, whom my initials are after, and my dad's sister and aunt)
-Caroline Conway
-Nora(h) Caroline (as a double name)
-Kathleen Kenzie
-Kathleen Marie
-Sarah Kathleen (as a double name)

More research to come...I also talked to my Dad tonight and had him hunting around my parent's house for a family history book that is no where to be found.  My Granny's side is very documented, but my Pop's side is not.  There were adoptions and three family/ last names associated with his side (very complicated).

At 21 weeks....
Mrs. Pregnant in the Lowcountry is having a daily headache, which stinks.  Other than that, things are good.  I go for a follow up with Dr. Villers on Thursday.

How big's baby girl?
From this week on we can measure baby from head to heel. It will now be around 10.51 inches (26.7cm ) and will weigh 12.70 ounces (360g).


How is your baby developing and growingBaby's digestive system is already functioning in a simple way. At this stage baby can swallow amniotic fluid, absorb much of the water in it and then pass the unabsorbed matter as far as the large bowel.
As mentioned above, baby is already swallowing fluids, it is believed that swallowing of amniotic fluid may actually help with growth, development and will condition the digestive system to function normally after birth. The amniotic fluid which surrounds baby, and baby is using to practice swallowing and digestion is actually replaced every 3-4 hours.
Over the first three days of this week baby's legs will reach their final proportions. You may notice that when baby is born that their arms and legs look "short". This is normal, and their proportions will begin to change when they move to start crawling and walking.
Baby's heart has continued to develop and is now beating strong enough that it could easily be heard with a stethoscope.

1 comment:

Tommy, Erica, Addie Kate, and Andrew said...

Oh, the name game. The most stressful part for me. I was dead set on Sarah Kathleen (Mema and Granny/Mom/Me - Kathleen was a given, there was no way we weren't going to use that) - Tommy won and my hormones let him. I had always liked the name Addie, I just hated that it wasn't a family name. I at least have my double name with Addie Kate. For Drew, I wanted Davis, Sullivan, or Hayes. Tommy was dying to have a jr. and thankfully I have always like the name Drew. Plus I love having Addie Kate and Andrew - it sounds good together - ha! I just couldn't deny him that. So good luck! I love your names! I have a vote if you want to hear it!