Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day Care Funnies

Tillman's routine has certainly been "shaken up" since the start of day care.  He went from 1:1 care to 3:10 care, and he wasn't all that happy about it.  Everyone says that it is the parents that have the biggest adjustment to the concept, and while that might be true to some extent, Tillman has certainly noticed the change.  His eating, sleeping, moods, and poops other things have been effected. 

When I dropped him off this Monday morning, I handed him over to the day care lady.  His poor little lip poked out, and he began to cry.  It made me feel so bad.  This was again a repeat for Nick on Tuesday.  Most days, they say he has an absolute melt down in the morning, and then the afternoons are better.

Yesterday when I picked him up, they said he was "great!"  This is the FIRST time the ladies were smiling and "cooing" at Tillman when we left.  The other days, I think they are glad to see him go?

Since we are into week two at day care, there are some things that I think are just funny. 

1. Since the first day, there is one lady that tells me everyday "Tillman is so gassy!"  She wanted us to get him some Mylicon.  We took a bottle, and just yesterday, they are requesting another bottle.  I know this stuff won't hurt Tillman because anything you can give your child 12 times a day can't be harmful.  However, really...already need another bottle?  Yes, I get it, you think he is gassy! 
By the way, Nick and I haven't use Mylicon since he was 1 month old.  He does fine at home. 

2. Monday I had some extra time, so I stayed and chatted with the ladies.  I specifically asked if he was running low on anything.  They said he still had a good stock.  On Tuesday report card, diapers were highlighted, circled, and checked.  Really?  I just asked about this.  Tillman and I had to run to the store to have some for Wednesday.

3. Booties are required to be worn in the room for "cleanliness."  I think this is great and appreciate them putting that rule in place.  My shoes walk around a hospital all day, and Nick's shoes walk around chemicals and outdoor stuff all day, so I certainly don't want to be walking were Tillman is on the floor especially since he has his hands in his mouth all the time (wow-long sentence).  However, The booties are a pain to put on.  Plus, I don't like reusing ones that have been put on other's shoes (ick!).  I've seen some parents walk in the room with just socks or no shoes.  Apparently, that is breaking the rules.  I got "called down" for this...really, everyone else does it, and you say nothing (got to pick on the newbie?)!  The lady made me feel like a two-year-old.

4.You have to ring a door bell to get in the building.  Again, safety first!  There is a camera at the door, and they buzz you in.  One thing I ponder is how long do I wait until I buzz the bell again.  I stood there for over a minute yesterday (I know, a minute is not that long, but when you are standing there with your hand on the door handle waiting...it is!).  I finally buzzed again, and they immediately let me in.  Next time, I'm waiting 20 seconds!

5. Tillman can sleep standing up in a exersaucer.  He literally "jumps" himself to sleep. When he does this at home, we just let him be.  While it may be funny, odd, and look uncomfortable, he likes it and can sleep an hour or more, so just leave him be.  The ladies think he needs to be in a bed to sleep, so they try to move him.  Of course he wakes up, so that is why the poor child hasn't slept longer than 30 minutes since becoming a "day care kid."

6. Tillman's crib is the ONLY crib in the place that has a swing in it!  I must get a picture of this!  They have figured out that he can sleep in a swing too.  I picked him up on Friday, and he was in his swing in his crib.  The other children were sitting in Bumba seats on the carpet in a circle "playing."  Poor Tillman looked like a "loner" in the corner.  It made me sad!

So...that is that!

1 comment:

Ali said...

It's quite entertaining picturing all this stuff in my head especially the little loner :(