Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Baby and Big Brother

The position Caroline is most often in

Caroline is know as "baby" at our house.  Tillman doesn't show too much interest in her, but he has had to adjust to not getting all the attention.  Tillman will only call her "baby." He does know who we are speaking of when we say sister or Caroline, but only points and says "baby." He does like to touch her feet, is curious about her, and thankfully isn't bothered by her crying.  We were eating dinner last night, and Caroline was in the bouncy seat crying/pretty upset, Tillman was eating his dinner as if nothing was going on.  I was appreciative.  I've seen children get cranked up just because another child was crying.  He seemed un-phased.

We are tyring to emphasize that Tillman is the big brother.  He has taken on a few task as big brother-taking Caroline's diapers to the trash and taking laundry to the basket.  He enjoys being included and it makes him feel important.  We are glad to have the help!  He is becoming a very good helper and enjoys tasks. 
Taken while in hospital.
Caroline with her Cupcake hat
Caroline has been eating a ton during the day (every 2 hours), but sleeping 5-6 hour stretches at night.  This has been a blessing.  Before Caroline was born, Nick and I discussed our sleeping arrangements.  When Tillman was born, I lived on the couch.  It was easier to feed there, and he was ALWAYS up.  He was a hungry guy.  I knew this time around I needed to sleep in a bed.  Nick agreed to go to our guest bedroom this time.  However, we've all been able to keep in our normal routine.  When Caroline wakes, we go to the couch, feed, and come back to the room for the rest of the night.  So far, this routine is allowing us all a good night's rest. 

A bit of a smile while in the hospital
As far as Caroline eating so much, I often wonder if she is actually hungry or needs a pacifier.  I don't want to not offer her any "food," but then again could she really be hungry all the time like this?  I'm unsure.  I just continue to take Ibuprofen and offer her it (breastfeeding).  My lactation consultant friends say to stay away from the pacifier, and so far, I'm trying.  I know it would be nice to have her suck on that for a while now, but when it comes to weening off the pacifier later in life, I'm unsure it is worth the trade off. 


1 comment:

Judy@grammyreads.com said...

She is tooooo cute!! My goodness, the hair is beautiful! And that cupcake hat! Enjoy your days with this adorable baby!