Monday, November 22, 2010

2 Month Check Up


Tillman had his two month appointment on November 16th.  This was his first time back at the doctor since we had to take him for weight checks a week after he was born (glad those stressful times are behind us).  At two months, they start passing out the shots!  Nick and I have gone back and forth on the vaccines and schedule.  Nick and I both did research, as our opinions were on opposite ends of the spectrum.  We opted for a compromise and chose to spread out the shots, but for Tillman to receive all vaccines. 

Tillman goes back in two weeks to get his two shots he skipped last Tuesday.  I am glad he only got two because he had a fever and all with just two.  I don't want to think how he would have been with four shots. 

Our poor little guy after shot one.

He had the same reaction to shot two...I would too!

Also at this appointment they get all of his stats too!
At Two Months, Tillman is
-22 inches long (13th percentile)
-10 lbs 13 ozs (22nd percentile)
-Temp reading 98
-Head size 14 1/2 inches (3rd percentile)

He takes around 3.5-4 oz at a feeding. The doctor said he could take more…like 5 oz, but we think he is content with less. So far, he has only received breast milk (Nick calls it "momma milk")! No formula!!! He has come a long way from leaving the hospital at 5 lbs 9oz. He is still on the small side, but I think he is just going to be small. He has been below the 50th percentile with height and weight since his first ultrasound.  I don’t feel he is small because he isn’t getting enough to eat.

At two month, Tillman loves his swing, taking baths, taking walks in the BabyBjorn, going to work with daddy and is "cooing" and smiling a lot (oh and loves watching ceiling fans and clocks)!  He still takes 2-3 hour naps during the day, and will sleep up to 7 hours at night (in his swing).  The doctor said we need to work on transitioning him to a still sleep setting, so we've been working on that.  Of course, he doesn't sleep as well, but only wake one time during the night. 

Nick and I at two months of being parents have also grown a lot too!  We've adjusted our own bedtimes (9PM for me), and take shifts during the night (I wake to pump and Nick cares for Tillman if I'm not already up).  We've learned that team work in the morning gets us all out the door on time.  Also we've learned that what works for Tillman is good for us, so we adjust to meet his happy point (road trips start at 6AM, only go out to eat when Tillman has a full tummy, we tote his swing everywhere, etc). 

Parenting has been very rewarding for us.  It has taught me a lot about my priorities in life.    Life is no longer at work; it is at home with family.  At work it has taught me to be extra efficient, get things done during work hours, and to not allow work to flow over to family time.  Often when I leave in the morning, Tillman is asleep, and when I return, he is asleep.  I miss not seeing him during the day, but the precious time at night we spend together is something I'm not willing to give up!

No comments: