Tuesday, September 7, 2010

38 weeks

At 38 weeks pregnant, I 'm doing fine.  Sleeping and turning over at night is getting harder, but I'm still getting my full 8 hours.  9PM seems to be the magic bedtime.  Nick says that I have perfected the preggo waddle.  I asked him if he thought others could tell if I was pregnant from behind, and he said "YES."  It all has to do with the waddle. 
This week I packed Tillman's bag and 1/2 my bag for the hospital.  They tell you to pack all of that stuff in advance, but that just isn't possible.  I can't pack some things until the last minute, as I use them everyday!  I just hope I'm at home when this whole labor thing starts!  It would make it a lot easier, but if I am not, I have a list going of everything that needs to go in the bag before it comes to the hospital. 

Here's the babycenter.com update: "Your baby has really plumped up.  He weighs about 6.8 pounds and he's over 19 1/2 inches long (like a leek). He has a firm grasp, which you'll soon be able to test when you hold his hand for the first time! His organs have matured and are ready for life outside the womb.
Wondering what color your baby's eyes will be? You may not be able to tell right away. If he's born with brown eyes, they'll likely stay brown. If he's born with steel gray or dark blue eyes, they may stay gray or blue or turn green, hazel, or brown by the time he's 9 months old. That's because a child's irises (the colored part of the eye) may gain more pigment in the months after he's born, but they usually won't get "lighter" or more blue. (Green, hazel, and brown eyes have more pigment than gray or blue eyes.)"

I am really hoping Tillman has blue eyes.  Nick's eyes are brownish and mine are blue.  I know we'll love him just the same, but it is a wish.  We also have other random wishes for Tillman-hope he doesn't get eaten by mosquitoes like I do, hope he doesn't have dry skin like his dad, hope he gets the skinny genes, hope he get the smart and athletic genes (from somewhere), etc.  Most of all, we hope the little guy is healthy! 

To help with the healthy part, we have decided not to do anything to induce labor, we want to keep him in his happy place for as long as possible.  Many people schedule their due date to be induced, have membranes stripped, do random exercises to move the process along, but we've decided that isn't for us.  We're going to let nature do its thing.  If nothing has progressed after his due date, we'll look at options.  Dr. Villers says he has to come out at 41 weeks (no value to keep him in after that point as the placenta gets old), so we know he'll be born on or before September 28th.

2 comments:

The Blanton's said...

YAY! Go buy travel size tolietries, that way you will be all packed and ready to go. I'd keep your bag in the car just in case :)

Meredith said...

April, you should know me way better than that. I have to pack my make up, hair stuff, etc....that stuff doesn't come in travel size! :-)