Friday, September 10, 2010

Dimple Dilated

That was "the word" from my appointment yesterday.  I didn't think it was a common term, but I "google" everything, and sure enough, dimple dilated is a thing.  Dr. Villers also said that I'm still around 50% effaced.  In previous post, I've expressed that the checks are uncomfortable, but I guess I didn't know until yesterday these checks get worse after dilation starts (yuck...I just can't write it; if you have to know, email me).  I'm hoping Tillman will hang in there next week.  Dr. Villers is out of town next week, and I'll see her again on September 20th. 

Dear Tillman, be patient for 10 more days at least for Mommy and Daddy.  I know that patients doesn't run in the family, but impress us all and show us how it is done, buddy! 

Last night Nick and I went to a newborn class, 1-2-3 For Parents To Be, at MUSC.  I think it was helpful, but we got out way past my bedtime of 9PM (yawn!).  I just didn't feel like I could leave--too scared to miss something I didn't know (and I don't know much about newborns). 

Some things we learned
~the first poop is AWFUL! You must get it off the baby ASAP.  It is better to use lotion to wipe up the baby than baby wipes.  This stuff is like tar and is sticky!  YUCK!
~Breastfed babies poop should not stink.  When they poop, their diaper should have yellow liquid stuff with "seseme seed" like things in it.
~Crib bumpers are dangerous (what?) and should not be in the crib. We are to take it out before he sleeps there....SIDS.
~We're the only couple, in all our classes, who have a birth plan. Most of the dads didn't know they could cut the cord.  For your sanity, fill out a birthplan. It really does help to create the experience you hope to have.

6 comments:

The Blanton's said...

1st poop is AWFUL!

Breastfed poop is great....just wait until solid...UGH!

Crib bumper is fine until he starts to move around a lot in his crib (like 3-4 months ish). The scare is that he will smash his face up against the side of the crib and won't be able to breathe. They have breathable bumpers you can buy at BRU that are great b/c he WILL get his legs caught b/w the rails if you don't put anything up. Keep the ceiling fan running on low/med to help circulate air. That's supposed to help with SIDS too.

Don't panic if your birth plan doesn't go exactly like planned. Just make sure the MOST important parts your doc knows (like Nick cutting the cord).

GOOD LUCK! I can't wait to meet him!!

TeeTee Lynn said...

We have the breathable crib bumpers, and we have been happy with them so far.

I agree...don't panic if the birth plan doesn't go exactly as you planned. Our experience was rather different from our birth plan, but we still ended up with a beautiful healthy baby! :)

Meredith said...

Thanks for the advice.

Tee Tee Lynn (Kristi)-aren't you glad you had a birthplan? It seems like people have never heard of it before. I am glad that Nick and I are on the same page about a lot of things, and that Dr. Villers knows what is important to us.

Jaime said...

I am going to all of the same parenting classes. I found the breast feeding class to be the most informative so far. Still nervous, of course, but it is good to be prepared.

The whole check-up post dilation has been so uncomfortable. I thought I was being a wimp so I am glad you feel the same! We could have our baby on the same day. I am over 2cm dilated. Just waiting for his arrival. We had to ask him to stay in an extra few days because we made a quick trip to Wild Dunes. But we are home now, so it all worked perfectly! :)

Meredith said...

FPT, I am so glad to hear someone else say these are super uncomfortable! 2cm-wow, you are right-you could go at anytime. Glad you got to go to Wild Dunes for a "baby moon!"

TeeTee Lynn said...

I am definitely glad we had a birth plan even though we didn't follow all aspects of it. It made us talk about things and think about things that we otherwise might not have.

And yes, those "checks" are dreadfully uncomfortable. I had no idea either.

Good luck to you guys!