Friday, September 24, 2010

It is nice to know I'm not alone

After yesterday's post about breastfeeding, I received two emails from "mom readers" who had the same issues with their children.  It sure does feel good to know Tillman and I are not alone. 
I look forward to meeting with the lactation consultant and the pediatrician today.  Hopefully, between the two appointment, we will see much progress with Tillman's feeding.

Here are excepts from the "mom reader" emails I received.  I think it is important to share these.  Not only for my readers who are to-be-moms, moms who may have had lots of trouble with breastfeeding and had to seek alternative and moms who are up right now (1AM) Goggling this very topic to find answers.

side note: I get hits everyday on the topics I write about each day from Goggle.  I have a traffic tracker on the blog to tell me how people arrived at the blog: key word searches, from Facebook, Goggle, etc.  Some of my most popular topics are the 9 week ultrasound, Slushy craving, the cheer, "my back aches my skirts too tight," in light of the latest news story regarding it this post has been visited by thousands of people (check out comments on that post), and growth scan just to name a few.

Email excerpts:
"I just read your latest blog post. I went through the EXACT same thing with "A." She finally dropped down to the 3rd percentile. It was VERY scary. We supplemented with formula every now and then even at newborn stage, and it never stopped her breastfeeding progress (when it finally took off). We started by supplementing in the hospital. Because I was in labor for 15 hours, and because my water broke at 5 pm but had no contractions (similar to you), I had had NO sleep in almost 48 hours. By the time our first night with her rolled around, I was shaking, crying, and completely beside myself. We decided for her to stay in the nursery and they cup fed her. The next night they brought her to me once during the night. Other than in the hospital, she never had straight formula - it was always formula/breast milk mix....in the hospital, the lactation consultant put water (I think) on my nipple to get "A" to suction better with a syringe and a tube attached to it. So, we took that little thing home, not realizing what we were doing or why we may need it. We fed her - finger fed her - with that tube and my breastmilk for about 6 days....We still gave her a bottle at night - we wanted her to be good and full, and it was always both formula and breastmilk - remember formula digests more slowly than breastmilk. I also didn't want her to become familiar with having to nurse to sleep. That would just be something else to have to break later....Anyway, I just wanted to share with you that I had been through the exact same thing. Don't freak out about it. I breastfed "A" for over 10 months and never regret continuing trying."

" I read your blog on breastfeeding and Tillman gaining weight and wanted to let you know we went through the same thing when I began to breastfeed. The first few weeks were nicknamed by me and my mom as "breastfeeding bootcamp". It takes a ton of work, but you will get in a groove soon and it will become like second nature. Because '"C" was so little they needed her to gain weight rapidly in the beginning so my pediatrician told me that no matter what I had to feed her every two to three hours no matter what. I had to wait until she weighed a little more before I was breastfeeding on demand. Anyway, I'm going to keep checking your blog on your progress and just know that it will become easy soon. The beginning is always hard because you just aren't sure of how much milk they are getting. Oh and one more thing, I breastfed "C" until she was done and then had to pump afterward to not get engorged. You do NOT want a breast infection. It is the worst!! Hang in there! xoxoox"

To my "mom readers" thank you for your emails and encouragement.  It sure is nice to know I'm not alone, and I hope by including your advice to me in this post will help a mom who is up in the middle of the night Googling this same topic!

No comments: