Wednesday, March 31, 2010

My back aches, my skirt's too tight....

"How are you feel?"  Is a question I get a lot!  I usually say "fine" to spare the nice person from knowing my real feelings (and their thoughts of me not being grateful of my pregnancy).  However, I do feel like saying well "my back aches, my skirt's to tight, my booty (now bigger booty and belly) shakes from left to right."

I am truly grateful to be pregnant and know this weight gain is for a wonderful cause (Nick has been great with his encouragment with this; he know my fear of weight), but it does come along with feeling fat.  I don't yet have that "cute" baby bump, but I have gained 5 lbs.  Some of you may be thinking, "5lbs...big deal."  However, I am 5'2'' (on a good day...in heels).  5 lbs on me is 10lbs on a tall person.  I have retired some of my "regular" clothes.  In fact, the outfit I wore here was officially retired on Monday until the winter (too tight..yikes!). 

The only way I know to compare it is...do you know how you feel after eating a big buffet dinner?  You know how you un-do your pants on the ride home to give your belly some room (you know you do it!)?  Well, that is how I feel now, but all day in my regular clothes (I switched over to the trusty leggings today!...Work appropriate? Not sure.). 

My weight gain has been in my mid-section and thighs, so pants are where I feel it the most.  Dr. Villers said a 5 lb weight gain is fine at this stage (15 weeks).  She said that she usually doesn't mind if her patients gain 15 lbs by week 20.  She said with a normal pregnancy, one should expect to gain around 30 lbs total.  I asked her if she would tell me if she thought I was gaining too much.  She said "yes," which makes me feel great.  I like for someone to hold me accountable, and also not let me get too far gone.  She said that 30lbs is a reasonable amount of weight to still be healthy to deliver and manage postpartum when trying to work off that baby weight. 


*For those who are confused by the title, I was a little league cheerleader in my day (it stopped after little league).  The title is part of a cheer we used to do-" My back aches, my skirt's too tight, my booty shakes from left to right, say OOH, AHUH we got that spirit, we do....say OOH, AHUH we got that spirit, we do!

6 comments:

Kegan said...

Mere, you weight gain is fine. You are lucky you just switch over to maternity stuff. I have been in maternity clothes since I was about 13 weeks. I have gained about 5 pounds so far. Do not sweat it. You will get it off. Running up and down the stairs after the little one will certainly give you a work out after the little arrives. So enjoy the pregnancies and do not sweat it. I am sure your weight gain will be miminal. But your title fits everything about being pregnant.

Jennifer H. said...

I'm laughing out loud thinking about you saying that cheer out loud! Word to the wise - maternity clothes may be a little blah and not super stylish, but they are oh so comfy.

However, I guess I got so used to elastic pants that I now find myself forgetting to zip up my real pants. I can't tell you how many times I've realized that I've spent most of the morning at work with my fly down!

Meredith said...

Nick thought I needed to explain the cheer...he didn't get it when I ran the title by him.

I am looking forward to getting your tub of maternity clothes this weekend!

Jennifer H. said...

I have plenty of elastic pants for you! Just try not to forget that real pants have zippers!

Brian said...

Searching about that cheer, due to the recent story about it, relating to a child who was kicked off a cheerleading squad because her mother, a former cheerleader, did not think it was appropriate somehow, for a 6 yr old to cheer it. A lot of talking, but you are the only one I have seen mentioning the cheer BEFORE the bruhaha. Could you explain what the cheer means? Why does their back hurt? The explanation of basically "Hey, we are out here standing all day cheering for these stupid football players and our backs hurt, our uniforms and ill fitting and we have to dance stupidly" does not seem to be a very good cheer.. I suspect there is something more to the meaning.

Meredith said...

Brain, my blog has "blown up" with searches of key words of the cheer leading folks to this post.
I was a little league cheer leader when I was 5 or 6, and we did this cheer often. That has been 25 years ago, so it is not a new cheer by any means.
I guess I never really thought about the words, and to me, seems like a pretty harmless cheer. I come from a VERY conservative up-bringing, and my parents never had an issue with the wording, and now I, 25 years older, don't either.
Some have changed the words out and say "my butt or booty shakes," and that is where I think it starts to get close to going over the line for a 6 year old to be say.
As far as the words, It is just what you mentioned (I think...I never put much thought towards it since learning it 25 years ago). Cheering on the side lines, getting tired after cheering on the players, but "we got that that spirit" shows the cheerleaders aren't going to give up cheering for the team even if they are tired.
Thanks for your comment. I think over 1,000 people have come to my "little ol'" blog by Googling the news story, and you are the first to leave a comment!