Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Dr. Villers, How's My Bloodwork? What Did You Hear about the WPW?

"Everything looks great. Your iron count is wonderful!! You’re doing a great job with the prenatal vitamins.

I asked Dr. Jill Mauldin in Maternal-Fetal Medicine about WPW* (Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome). She said that there is probably a very small risk that your baby would inherit that condition. She said that you should get a fetal echocardiogram at around 22-25 wks of pregnancy to make sure that the baby’s heart looks normal. Otherwise, don’t worry about it. She also said that since the cardiologist (visited Dr. Peura last April to get my heart checked out since I was entertaining pregnancy ) thinks you are healthy that you will probably not have any problems with pregnancy."

Margo (aka Dr. Villers)

Side Note:
WPW* - I was born with WPW.  Throughout my childhood it was a hindrance (never knowing when my heart would start beating really fast, never being able to play sports, and always having minor procedures in an OR because no physician wanted to take the chance on me).
I had an Ablation when I was 19 years old.  I was in college and had exhausted every medication to try to keep it under control.  At the time, I was living by myself, and had an "episode."  My parents got really nervous of me living alone, so two months later I had the procedure.  This month will mark 10 years that I have been symptom free!!
While I have remained symptom free after the Ablation, WPW is something that is on my mind throughout this pregnancy.

No comments: