Friday, March 19, 2010

First Trimester Screening-Blood Results Are Back!

This post is an update from Friday's ultrasound post (First Trimester Screening).  Take a listen to hear my conversation with Sally Shield, MUSC Prenatal Wellness Center genetic counselor about my results, more about the First Trimester Screening and the results obtained from this elective test.


First Trimester Screening for Down Syndrome (extra copy of chromosome 21) and trisomy 18 & 13 is a test offered to women in their first trimester of pregnancy to determine the chance that they will have a baby with Down Syndrome and/or trisomy 18 & 13. It cannot detect all birth defects or genetic conditions.


The screening combines measurements from both a blood test and an ultrasound examination (see YouTube video, "First Trimester Screening").  My results were all negative or normal, and I have a 1 in 10,000 chance of having a baby with the above conditions.  We are very excited to hear the good news!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you for sharing this video! That's great news!! We'll keep praying for your pregnancy and Baby!! ~Julie

Meredith said...

The Flip Video is getting a workout for sure! I figured this post would be easier to record than me try to write what I heard.
Glad you enjoyed! Have a great weekend and thanks for the prayers!!

Jill said...

You're doing such a great job! Love it!