Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Is it safe to ice-skate while pregnant?

It was raining on Sunday, so we were not able to make it out to the Flowertown Festival in Summerville, SC this weekend.  We didn't want to be stuck inside all day, so we decided to go ice-skating!  I am glad I didn't "goggle" is it safe to go ice-skating while pregnant because this among other things came up telling me how unsafe it is.  Of course, an expert is not going to get on Babycenter.com and tell you "sure...break a leg...get out there!" But honestly, if you "goggle" to see if any activity is safe while pregnant, you will be sitting on your *tushy* for the next 7 months eating ice cream sundaes!

This is where I think us, pregnant ladies, just have to make good judgment.  You know yourself (cluts level), and you know that you aren't going to go out there and use the ice rink like a "slip and slide" as we did when we were kids!

I had business to take care of on Sunday.  I have high expectations for our little one, so we have to start him/her out young (14 weeks gestation).  We are training the next Olympian after all.  We're thinking we'll have the next Apolo Ohno or Dorothy Hamill after our ice skating adventure!

We had tons of fun at the Carolina Ice Palace.  Nick fell down a few times, but he pushed himself to the limits and wasn't scared to fall.  I slowly went around dodging all the little kids with the "ice-skating walkers."

This "sport" really gets the heart rate up.  Since it is 57 degrees in there, I didn't realize I was getting some exercise, as I wasn't sweating.  We took a break, and I could feel my heart was pounding!

For those who know me from Soirées & Shenanigans, you know I didn't go there without a coupon!  Click here to get free skate rentals. 


**Reader Footnote: I felt comfortable going ice-skating this weekend, but I'll have to see in future weeks, as I know my balance will be off with the baby bump.  I'm going to use good judgement each time before putting on a pair of skates.  However, I'm not going to be that person that sits at home and does nothing!

No comments: