Wednesday, June 9, 2010

My Glucose Screening

I had my glucose screening a couple of weeks ago (as you probably know by reading), and here is the video to show you exactly what to expect if you haven't done one before.  Basically, you drink the glucola, wait an hour, and then have your blood draw to be analyzed for gestational diabetes.
Dr. Villers' office made the hour wait go by really fast.  I drank "the juice" at 8:30, and was seen by Dr. Villers at 9:00.  I was very busy during the hour "wait."  The staff also mentioned they will send the glucola home with some of their patients to drink 30-45 minutes before their appointment, so all they have to do is to go straight to get their blood drawn when they arrive for their next appointment.  All and all, the process was painless!
The "glucola" was super sweet, but if you know me at all, I love sugar (I've been known to eat it straight....weird...maybe), so it was no problem for me!  Speaking of sweets, I just found out yesterday that one of my showers actually depended on me passing my screening.  Luckily I did because my girlfriends (Mary-Margaret, Jennifer, and Catherine) and sis-in-law, Julie, are hosting a dessert themed shower!  My mouth is already watering!

This video is blurry...bummer.
If you can't see the YouTube video below, click here, to view it on MUSC's website.

No comments: