Thursday, June 3, 2010

Tillman goes to his first Indy 500!

Nick and I took a long road trip over Memorial Day weekend up to Ohio and Indiana.  We hit the road on Thursday afternoon and arrived in Ohio on Friday mid-day after stopping over night in Tennessee.  The trip is about 11 hours long.  It is just too much for us to do in one day especially when we're not pressed for time. 

Last Sunday we went to the Indy 500 with Nick's Mom.  Indianapolis is about an hour and a half from Nick's Mom's house, so we hit the road early Sunday morning for the 1PM race start. I've been to the race three times.  Nick has been far more, as his family has had tickets since the 50's.  His Grandparents used to go every year, and now the tickets have been passed down.  I won't say that we are hard core race fans, but we are certainly into the family tradition of going!

As for the three Indy 500 I have been, it has rained, been prefect weather, and then this year, the HOTTEST race in history!  This hot weather was perfect timing with being pregnant.  It was supposed to be 83 degrees, but ended up being 96 degrees (I hope that weather man got a disciplinary note in his file).  I got really hot around lap 83 (out of 200), so I went down to get me something to drink.  It was literally 10-15 degrees cooler on the ground!  Guess what, most of the concession stands were out of water!

We sit in turn two, so we see turns one and two and then the back straight away.  The race track was 130 degrees which made the track slick, thus causing all the great wreaks! Chill out, no one got seriously hurt, and if you have ever been to a race, that is what you look for!  All the wreaks happened in our viewing area expect the last wreak where the guy's car goes up on the wall (probably the most exciting one).

Here are some videos and pictures from the race!







Us before going into the race gates.

Nick, Me and Tillman's Mimi in the stands

Turn 2

Our Tickets

A Wreak...racer getting into the SUV

Loading up the wreaked car and other racers on a caution lap

Side Note:  Traveling during the 2nd trimester is great!  I don't yet feel too big and uncomfortable yet, and I'm done (I hope) the the nauseousness.  Dr. Viller's told me to take a baby aspirin before getting on the road to prevent any type of blood clots (just being cautious).
Nick and I are really trying to take advantage of the last few months of just the two of us by doing a little bit of traveling (really...road tripin' it).  We've got one or two more trips planned before Tillman arrives.

No comments: