Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Stretch Marks Prevention

I was first introduced to stretch marks while I hit that first major growth spurt in middle school.  It was the summer between my seventh and eighth grade years.  I guess that is referred to as blossoming, but dang, I was in full bloom that summer!  I remember my mom purchasing my Confirmation dress.  I planned to wear it to my cousin's wedding that August.  We'll I went to put the dress on, and my mom had to bust the seems to make it work for the wedding.  I think that was the first time in my life I felt FAT.  Kids shouldn't have to feel fat, but from that point on, I was introduced to stretch marks and dieting!!!

So now being pregnant, I am super sensitive to the fact of me being prone to stretch marks.  I just can't handle anymore; I have enough.  I certainly fear them during pregnancy after seeing post like this (do check it out...at least the stretch mark picture...Julie, I finally broke down and read it).  After seeing that picture of someone who didn't believe in creams and lotions, I had to try every lotion possible to avoid that situation.

I have a three lotion regiment once a day (may up it to twice a day).
-Publix Cocoa Butter (Free from Publix Baby Club mailer)-I put this mainly on my legs, arms and chest.  I consider this lotion, phase one.  It might help, but certainly look to higher powered lotions for problem areas.

-Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Massage Lotion for Stretch Marks, phase two.  At least this lotion has Stretch Marks in the name.  I use this lotion for my belly!  I don't have any stretch marks (knock on wood) there, but feel like this would do a good job in helping fight them. 

-Bio-Oil, phase three.  Several women have recommended this product.  I use it on my thighs and lower back....the unfortunate places I've had stretch marks since 7th grade! Bio-Oil is not cheap.  The small bottle cost $20.  However, their website has a coupon!  (click here for the coupon).  I have found it at Wal-Mart and Target.

Any advice from moms out there on what is the best products to use?

1 comment:

Kegan said...

Meredith I did not get stretch marks on my belly from Logan and I do not think I will from Lance. I think people get stretch marks from being pregnant when they over do it when they (eating) when they are pregnant. You have watched what you are eating and have not over done it by no means. Yes, I have a few on my back but they are where I can hide them with my bathing suit when I have to. I did use the lotion but not constantly. Just when I itched to sooth the feeling. You will be fine. Hang in there.