Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Special Treatment?

Last week during our travels to Ohio, I had several encounters in the airport.  All were very positive and really took both Nick and me by surprise.  The first was on our first flight. Since we booked our tickets at the last minute, Nick and I didn't sit beside each other.  It appeared as though I was traveling alone to anyone who got on the plane after us.  I was in the middle seat (yuck...of course).  I didn't speak to either of the two men beside me, but when the plane landed, everyone was out of their seats getting their stuff from the overhead bins.  The man on the aisle, said "I hope you don't mind, but I'd really like to get your bag for you."  In my head I was laughing because Nick was right behind me in the next row.  I said "oh sure, thank you!"  The aisle seat man seemed rather concerned with me and how I was going to carry this bag off the plane.  He nicely set the bag up for me, so I wouldn't have any troubles.  While getting off the plane, he kept looking back to make sure I was managing ok. Super nice guy!!!!

My second encounter in the airport was on the way back.  We had to hop the train in the Atlanta airport to get to the correct concorse for our connecting flight.  As soon as I stepped on the train, this lady in the back starting saying LOUDLY "Ma'am Ma'am...you need to come back here and sit down."  I said "ok." (It was in the handicap seating area.)  There I sat between two ladies.  Both who had children.  It was like I had sat down for "story time."  On the quick ride, they both gave me advice for the future and basically told me I would worry for the rest of my life!  The older lady said her daughter is 40, and she still worries about her all the time.  In fact, that is who she was traveling to see.

Other little things Nick noticed was when walking in the airport, people would just immediately get out of my way or move.  I think he really noticed this because I only was carrying my purse, and he had our luggage.  He was having to "bob and weave" through the crowd, as they gave him no space.  This was the same case when it came to boarding the plane.  I got to go 10-15 people ahead of Nick to board the plane simply because folks would just let me go ahead.  Meanwhile, Nick is in the back of the line waiting patiently!!

While this "special treatment" was very nice and much appreciated, I have certainly received some negative "special treatment" lately too.  For those who followed me on my other blog, Soirées & Shenanigans, know that I have to ride a bus into work everyday!  I don't mind this bus ride, but you certainly have to take care of yourself because in general, everyone is trying to get to where they are going without much regard for the neighbor (Isn't it strange that people are more courteous in an airport than a daily shuttle bus?)

Well, Monday I was "scurrying" to the bus and right when I got to the doors, the driver shut them in my face (literally...no exaggeration...it happened just liked that)!  I was like "oh well," but there was this other guys running and "flailing" his hands at the bus to stop for him.  Of course, I took advantage and got on the bus too.  I was thinking to myself, you'll stop for him, but not a pregnant lady (It is 100 degrees out here)?  When we got on, she was shaking her head and acting all mad she had to stop (I'm thinking to myself; has this women never had kids before...what is her problem?). 

I get off at the first stop and a man got off with me.  He came up to me while walking to my car to apologize for the bus driver.  He said "I can't believe she did that to you...you're pregnant!"  I told him I really appreciated his words.  Also I told him that if the "wrath" of a pregnant lady doesn't get to her then certainly Karma will!!!

Special treatment to those in certain stages of their lives (pregnant, old, handicap, etc) is nice and certainly very appreciated; it is something each of us must appreciate when it is given.  For as if you don't, then you'll be treated with a door shutting in your face with no regard!  I make sure to say an extra thank you to everyone who provides that little extra special treatment.  Also, I make sure to "pay it forward" to other.  One key point in closing (especially to ladies), don't ever turn down someone for trying to do something nice (offer you a seat, carry something heavy, etc), once this person is turned down multiple times, they feel no one needs help, and there is not point to be curteous anymore.  They turn in to the cold hearted bus drivers.  Do you really want your life to be filled with those type people?  I'm sure your answer is NO...accept the offer everytime and say THANK YOU!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Well said!!!! Great post. So glad you had a good flight experience. I watched a guy give up his seat to another man on the bus btwn terminals last week and it almost gave me goosebumps. He said "Hey, come sit here with your daughter." (she was maybe 1 and a half.) Golden rule!!

Kegan said...

Very well said!!! I get to park in the guest parking here at work until I deliver. Which I think is nice of the building and Palmetto Health. It certainly helps when the heat index is 110 outside. See you this weekend....