Wednesday, July 7, 2010

My Birth Plan

As I mentioned in this post.  I was creating a birth plan for Tillman.  Nick and I truly don't know what to expect, but there are some concerns I have and other things that I want to make sure happen the way I always envisioned.  A birth plan is a way for us to think about our wishes and fears in advance and prepare the staff that will be taking care of us when Tillman is born.

Here are the items I checked as wanting to occur during the hospital stay.

*This is only a plan.  If something goes wrong, I will rely on the hospital staff to tell me what is safe.  I, by no means, want my wishes to come before the safety of Tillman or me.  I am very thankful to be in the hands of the MUSC staff that are the best trained in high risk situations in the Lowcountry!

Labor:
-I would like to be free to walk around during early labor.
-I wish to be able to move around and change position at will throughout labor.
-I would like the environment to be kept as quiet as possible.
-I would like the lights in the room to be kept low during my labor.
-I would prefer to keep the number of vaginal exams to a minimum. (can I add 5 exclamation points to this one?)

Anesthesia/Pain Medication:
-I would like to be asked if I would like to have narcotic pain relief.
-I would like to have a standard epidural.
Comments: I want to be given my options around these (ie how long I can wait to receive it, know all options, and meet Anesthesiologist)

Cesaeran:
*I don't plan to go this route, but I don't think many women have a choice when it come to the health of the baby.  A birth plan is good time to think about this possibility in advance.
-If a Cesarean delivery is indicated, I would like to be fully informed and to participate in the decision-making process.
-I would like to (coach) present at all times if the baby requires a Cesarean delivery.

Epistotomy:
*The majority of people I have spoken to have ripped (ouch!).  It seems pretty inevitable.  However, Nick has a friend who mention some herbs to take to avoid this from happening.  I'm trying to find out those herbs, so I can review them with Dr. Villers.
-I would prefer not to have an episiotomy unless absolutely required for the baby’s safety.

-I am hoping to protect the perineum. I am practicing ahead of time by squatting, doing Kegel exercises and perineal massage. (I got an email about this....need to talk to Dr. Villers about this at my next appointment)
-I would appreciate guidance in when to push and when to stop pushing so the perineum can stretch.
-If possible, I would like to use perineal massage to help avoid the need for an episiotomy.

Delivery of Baby:
-I would like to be allowed to choose the position in which I give birth, including
-I would like Nick and /or nurses to support me and my legs as necessary during the pushing stage.
-I would like to try to deliver in a squatting position, using (coach) or a squatting bar for support.
-Even if I am fully dilated, and assuming the baby is not in distress, I would like to try to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase.
-I would appreciate having the room lights turned low for the actual delivery.
-I would appreciate having the room as quiet as possible when the baby is born.
-I would like to have the baby placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery.
Comments: If possible, I'd like to breast feed and hold my baby right after birth before taken away to be fully cleaned and eye meds are put in.

After Delivery of Baby:
-I would like to have Nick cut the cord.
-I would like to hold the baby while I deliver the placenta and any tissue repairs are made.
-I would like to hold the baby for at least fifteen minutes before (he/she) is photographed, examined, etc.
-I would like to have the baby evaluated and bathed in my presence.
-I plan to keep the baby near me following birth and would appreciate if the evaluation of the baby can be done with the baby on my abdomen, with both of us covered by a warm blanket, unless there is an unusual situation.
-If the baby must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, (coach) or some other person, I designate will accompany the baby at all times.
-I would prefer to hold the baby rather than have (him/her) placed under heat lamps.
-I would like to delay the eye medication for the baby until a couple hours after birth.
Comments: All of these are my wishes, but don't want to jeopardize his safety.

Breastfeeding
-I plan to breastfeed the baby and would like to begin nursing very shortly after birth.
-Unless medically necessary, I do not wish to have any bottles given to the baby
-I would like more information about breastfeeding.
Comments: I'd like to be visited by an Lactation Consultant or nurse specializing in breastfeeding to hear tips and to make sure my technique is correct. This is one of the most important things to me.

Circumcision
-I would like to discuss options for pain management during the circumcision
Comments: We'd like for him to be circumcised. I would like to be updated of when it is done and how it went. If possible, husband, Nick, would like to stay with baby.

No comments: