Monday, July 26, 2010

Thank You!

I think those two words are not used often enough.  As you know from my post last week, I don't feel people are told "thank you" enough when they offer and/or do something for you.  This weekend I had my second shower.  We were back in my home town, Lexington, SC.  This shower was mostly family, close friends of my mom, and church folks.  It was a drop in shower, so people were coming and going while I was opening gifts.

In these type settings, it is hard to tell everyone "thank you" and visit with folks that have come out to see you and shower your upcoming "bundle of joy."  They see you open their gift, but beyond you saying "thank you" when opening the gift, that is pretty much as far as it goes that day.  Because of this type situation, I feel a strong need (only for myself) to write thank you notes immediately after the shower.  I think that writing a thank you note is a must, but sending it a day after the shower show that you really appreciate the gifts and everyone taking time to come to the shower.  Thank you notes is something I rarely "dilly dally!"  Yesterday, I woke up at 7AM and finished them around 11:30AM (of course, I took breaks in between) and dropped them off at the post office at 2PM.

When receiving a thank you note, I think most people think that is etiquette.  However, in order to make an impression upon the giver, one needs to go the extra mile.  If a person receives a note a month after the gift was given, they probably think "well, I'm sure glad she finally wrote that note!"  However, by sending it immediately, people sure are impressed!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Preach on, sista! :) I think thank you notes are unfortunately a dying act. It's sad because they really are thoughtful! Nice job, momma!

Meredith said...

I personally think it is nice to get something different in the mail besides bills all the time. You are right, Thank you notes are a dying act, which is said. I wonder why people aren't taught by their mothers that this is a must! Seems strange! Master T will be writing thank you notes!!!