Friday, July 30, 2010

Fashion Friday...no so much

I know...I know it is supposed to be Fashion Friday, but I just can't think of anything.  No matter where you are in the country, it is HOT everywhere.  My AC is on full blast no matter if I am in the car, at work, or at home (got the ceiling fans whipping there too). 
My fashion lately is what is the coolest thing I can get by with and still be appropriately dressed for work.

My employer's dress code in a nutshell:
-Official badge must be worn at all times. (no biggy with that)

-Hair, beards, and mustaches shall be clean and neatly kept.  Extreme hair colors, hairstyles, and hair ornaments should not be worn in a professional health care setting. (as long as I stay away from "sun-in" I should be "a ok" with this one)

-Cosmetics should be used in moderation. (I wear less and less...its just too HOT)

-Perfumes, colognes or heavy fragrances should not be worn, as many patients and staff members are offended, become nauseated or experience respiratory distress when exposed to chemical scents or odors. (Thank you for this one...Especially my first trimester this stuff was awful!  Save that smelly stuff for your date night)

-Undergarments: Appropriate undergarments must be worn under uniforms and must not be distinguishable through attire. (It is kind of like the warning labels on electronics...someone had to try it for those labels to exist.  I wonder who didn't do this....)

-Non-direct patient care employees will wear professional business attire which is clean, neat and conservative. (Don't worry, I'm not going to come to work with my baby bump hanging out although it is a 100 degrees)

-The following will be considered unprofessional, inappropriate attire:
1. T-shirts and sweatshirts (worn as an outer garment)-no, you can't wear your sorority and fraternity shirts to work people!
2. Isolation gowns or patient gowns (who does this???)
3. Recreational attire including exercise/jogging shorts or sports outfits-I don't think I've owned a pair of "jogging shorts" since the 80's...I imagine these as the ones with the R on the bottom, and they come to your knees.
4. Mini skirts, sun dresses, halter tops, tank tops-I get these, but sun dresses? I may be in violation
5. Blue denim jeans and pants made of spandex or lycra material-no leggings??? My personal fav
6. Party clothes such as glitter, sequins, or other evening attire-Who did this????  Does Tina Turner work here?
7. "Revealing" clothes such as low-cut, sheer, see-through, or tight/form fitting attire-The bigger I get the more in violation I come of this rule. 
8. Leather clothing-Don't worry...I don't own any
9. Dark glasses (except for documented medical reason)-you mean I can't wear my Jackie O's to a meeting?
10. Head wear including hats, sweatbands, and bandannas-man, I was hoping to wear one of these to catch the sweat during meetings (especially those meeting I have not control over the thermostat)....guess I'll go to plan "B."

-Hosiery is encouraged. Socks may be worn with slacks. (this must only apply to the winter months...I've been in violation for sometime...nothing is worse than sweating in hose....)

-Footwear/Shoes: Shoes worn by direct patient care employees must be clean, well kept (with laces tied) and should have an enclosed toe. So I guess the day I wear Jack Rogers, I'm technically not in any patient areas....

No comments: