Monday, August 2, 2010

The Diaper Wars-$7 Billon Industry

Pampers vs. Huggies is the big question.  This battle has gone on for years.  It is said that a mom will use the brand of diapers that the hospital uses.  Diaper companies give huge discounts to hospitals to accept their brands and gain mom's loyalty for life.  It is said that parents spend more than $2,000 on diapers before their "bundle of joy" is potty trained. 

The video above gives the full story, but diaper companies are also stepping it up with fashion.....


Yes, Tillman already has a pack of these waiting on him!  The smallest size they come in is 3.  Nick's grandmother just loves this commercial, so when Mimi came, she brought down a box.

Pampers doesn't want to be left behind in fashion.  They have teamed up with designer, Cynthia Rowley, to have some cute prints added to their diapers as well.
This is totally a Fashion Friday post, but it just came to me today!

2 comments:

Judy@grammyreads.com said...

That commercial is hilarious! First time seeing it for me. What do you think about the cloth diaper movement (no pun intended) now underway among lots of moms.

Meredith said...

Judy-There are theories the "cloth diaper" crowd started a complaint war with Pampers saying their new dry fit diaper caused bad skin rashes on their children. I’m unsure if it was true, but that is what they stated in the news clip.

I love the idea of cloth diapers, and honestly, I think it is the right thing to do for the environment and child’s skin (especially if Tillman gets Nick’s sensitive skin). I admire those who use them (also a huge money saver). My mom only put us in pampers when going to the nursery at church.

Maybe I'll try a pair or two on the weekends with him to see how it goes. I know I've got to find those rubbery diaper covers to go over them too.