Monday, August 30, 2010

Like The Good Wife Should....

I once heard someone say "dinner is ready...like the good wife should." It was actually the husband saying this.  The saying has always stuck with me.

Now with Tillman 3 weeks out, I wonder, will I...

be able to be "The Good Wife"

to him?

Just this morning, he calls me on my way out the drive way asking where his work pants were.  I thought he had one pair left, but those apparently don't have a button (he knew...I didn't remember).  My job is laundry (I do the laundry like the good wife should.).  I had to tell him that the rest of his pants didn't make it into the dryer last night.  Therefore, Nick is walking around today with no button on his pants and praying that the belt will keep them on!

This made me wonder, am I going to be able to keep up on my "wife" duties when Tillman comes?  Is there a compromise between being a good wife and a good mom? 

I know the pants not making to the dryer is a small example (although...this doesn't start the week off good), but of course, there are other things that I worry about not being able to do, feeling too tired to do, or completely forgetting to do! 

How do relationship stay in tact when a "bundle of joy" enters the mix?  I'm most concerned about the first 3-6 months.  This is where I feel that I'll be getting up every two to three hours and just wanting to sleep, eat (maybe), and well....that is probably it.  However, I know that can't be it because "the good wife should..."

That is on my mind today.  Any advice?

3 comments:

Kegan said...

My advice....Take one day at a time...That is all you can do. A book I have states do not neglect you husband when the new one arrives. But it really hard when you have a screaming little one wanting your undivided attention. You will learn how to balance everything out. Also the husband will have to understand that Tillman will have to come first for a little while until a routine is established.
For the pants thing. I have been known to get up in the middle of the night but things in the dryer because I wake up thinking about if Bryan has pants to wear or if Logan has an outfit for the next day. So when the baby comes you will up in the middle of the night and hopefully you will think about it at that time. I am sure he will forgive you this time for forgetting to put the pants in the dryer. At least he had a pair to wear today instead of walking around in nothing...lol There is always an up side to everything....lol....Also you can blame this on the baby taking all of your brain cells....lol......Hang in there. You are still the good wife he always wanted.....

Marnie said...

I thought I could do it all right away. My "aha" moment was when I had not stopped changing diapers, feeding the baby, doing the laundry, picking up and trying to get a mediocre dinner on the table for Brandon, and I ended up getting really sick with a breast infection. You have to take care of yourself to take care of the baby. You can't be perfect so remember to give yourself some slack. Do what you can, but make sure you aren't killing yourself trying to do everything at the level you have been doing things. And most importantly, remember to enjoy this time because it goes by fast. (I know, it's an annoying cliche statement to a pregnant woman or new mom, but it is so true). Your wifely duties may change for the first few months but you and Nick will be so in love with the little guy, you won't even think of it then. Things do get back to "normal" later though:)

Meredith said...

Thanks for the advice ladies! It is hard to know how it will be now, but I am sure when he comes, we'll both be in love and not care!