Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Gulcose Screening-Tomorrow Morning

Tomorrow morning I'll be "drinking the juice!"  (Yuck...I hear.) The glucose screening is a recommend a test for pregnant women between 24 and 28 weeks of pregnancy to check for gestational diabetes, a high blood sugar condition that some women get during pregnancy.  Dr. Villers prefers for her patients to get it around the 24 week mark verse later.  (I'll be 24 weeks on Tuesday.)

For the test, I've been told that one doesn't have to fast.  They request that you don't go and have a crazy carb/sugar meal.  However, I have many friends who have told me HORROR stories about those who chose not to fast and were on the board line, which caused them to go for the extended test (3 hours long and you are required to fast).

Since my appointment is at 9AM, I think I am not going to chance it and fast.  I just want to make sure I have the most accurate reading possible, and eliminate any false positive readings.  Dr. Villers' office did mention I could come in at 8:30 to "drink the juice."  After drinking it, you have to wait an hour for the reading.  My appointment with Dr. Villers is at 9:00, so I hope that hour will go by quickly since I'll be busy! 

We do plan to video the test, so you'll have to tune in! 

The drink for the test is orange and is supposed to taste like Sunkist.  I really hope it does because that is one of my favs (wishful thinking..huh?)!

2 comments:

Kegan said...

Just remember you have to keep it down. I was told I could haved milk 2% or 1% or skim. That it would not shot my sugar up too much. Then they told me if I had to put something on my stomache to eat a boiled egg. (Gross!!!!) So I drank a glass of milk on my way in to the doctor. But boy was I starving when I was done. Too bad they did not have like a pack of crackers for you to pick up on your way out the door.lol..... Let me know how it goes....

Unknown said...

Hope it went well. I had to do a 5-hr glucose tolerance test to confirm I was hypoglycemic back in college. I definitely had to fast beforehand, and It SUCKED!!!!! I just remember being so light-headed when it was over, I didn't know how I was going to drive myself to get something to eat and get home!