Monday, April 26, 2010

"You ain't havin' no baby...are you?"

Well, this week people have started directly asking me if I am having a baby (I guess that is better than wondering or whisper about it to others!).  It is the most random people too!  What has been really great is the people always say what a blessing it is, and they often tell me about their pregnancy and children. 

I have had a few people touch my "belly" and even one person kiss it!

How the conversation usually starts....

"You ain't havin' no baby...are you?"  I reply "yes! Due in September."  "Well you know; I've been wanting to ask for a while, but with you being all petite and all, you can really tell!"

"I would like to ask you something."  (pull me aside in a whisper voice..totally "sketched out" at this point).  "In my country it is a blessing to be pregnant, are you have a baby?"  My reply "Yes, due in September!" (secretly relieved she didn't ask anything else that would be overly  personal.)  "Oh that is so nice, I've been wondering, but in this country women get offended easily by that question, but I think it is just wonderful!"  Honestly, she is right.  If you aren't pregnant and packing on the lbs, it is not a great question to ask of someone.  I don't mind it now that I am pregnant, but could only imagine my reaction if I weren't.  That would send me straight to Weight Watcher and into a total "tail spin!"

 "Is that beer or is that a baby?" (A man asked me this...of course). Nick looked at the guy like he was crazy (and really brave). I "pissedly" giggled and said "It's a baby."  This comment has to be one of the rudest so far!  I almost wish I could have said I wasn't pregnant just to get that guy's goat!

Warning: Be careful what you say to pregnant ladies!!!

4 comments:

Jennifer H. said...

OMG - The beer comment is horrible, but it makes for a good story!

Kegan said...

You have a lot of brave people where you are. I do not think anybody has been that bold to ask me that kind of question. BEER!!! Was he drinking too much when he asked...lol... But like Jennifer said it makes for a good story. You will have to write that one in the baby book for sure. ;)

Meredith said...

The beer comment was from a man that was drinking. However, he wasn't drunk...just had enough to make him brave. Those comments aren't as well taken when you are drink ginger ale!!

The latest comment today was "is that a materinty outfit?" OK lady, just ask me straight out...YES I AM PREGGO!

Allison said...

Haha now people can legitimately wish you Happy Mother's Day!! :)